Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Black Expo

Every year there is an enormous event that is attended by people all around the country, called the Black Expo. All my friends bragged about what a good experience they had at the expo the previous years and I envied their endless stories. As senior year came to a close I figured I would ask my mom if I could I go while she was still vulnerable. All I can say is that my plan didn't go over as smooth as I thought. It took months and months of begging and groveling before she would even attempt to hear me out. I literally had to cry and complain that I wasn't given the privileges that I felt I deserved. I went on to say that when I go to college I'm going to take complete advantage of my newfound freedom because I wasn't receiving any at home.
Without even knowing it at the time I was incorporating rhetoric into my argument with my mom to get what I wanted. With my intense play on her emotions I was able to make her see how horribly I felt when I thought she didn't trust me. I challenged her because I knew in the end that the worst that could happen was that I would lose. By being able to show her that I need to slowly receive more freedoms before college she realized that that was best in order for me not to lose control when I would eventually be on my own. I was also able to show my credibility by instilling in her the appreciation that I had for her excellent parenting skills when raising me. So in the end I of course got what I wanted and was able to go to the expo.

SN: May I please say that was one of the worst experiences of my life :) (I should have listened to my mom)

4 comments:

  1. lol awh that must have sucked that happened to me when i begged my mom to let me go to the club and i wind up not having fun at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice play on emotions, at least you got what you wanted in the end (even though it ended up being horrible : [

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, consider it a learning experience. You learned that the Black Expo was not worth the trouble, and that we use rhetoric all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Well done Aubrey. I like your point that you were more daring because the consequences weren't very bad.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.