Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Motorcycle

My most recent use of rhetoric (to myself) was to persuade my parents into allowing me to get a motorcycle. My most effective method of Aristotle's three categories of persuasive appealsnwas ethos. My following effective method was pathos. Using these techniques I was able to convince both of my parents to, at least, trust me that I'd be safe on it and though I'd probably get one anyway, have their approval.
This specific time I applied rhetoric to my life for my own personal benefit. I had learned to ride about a month ago and had caught the bug, bad! After getting situated and building the courage to tell my, over protective, mother she had declined my inclination of getting a bike before I could even state a case. Eventually, she and my father listened to my point of view.
Ethos was my main focus of persuading them. As their son they know that I am a mature and deserving young man. I have done everything right to deserve their trust and handled it as a matter of faith in their son to not do anything stupid and be responsible. After a little further convincing of my knowledge of the dangers and the proper way of driving a motorcycle I followed up with my next technique: pathos.
Pathos concluded my argument and rid of any remaining inquiries of whether or not to give me the blessing. I showed the desire of getting one while providing the evidence that I could handle such a responsibilty. Driving it around the streets of my area gave them the confidence that I had enough knowledge and credibility that I knew what I was getting myelf into. I don't believe I would've have done anything different.

2 comments:

  1. Persuading your parents to let you get a motorcyle would be a tough case to win. Proving your level of responibility seems like the only chance you would have to change their minds. It would have been interesting to hear your persuasion using the logos appeal because it would take some research to statistically prove the dependence of teenage drivers when operating a motorcycle. I like your approach towards your parents in the way you played the responsibility card. It was obviously effective in make your persuasion more acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Adrian! I agree with Danielle that this is a hard case to win; it definitely says something about your powers of persuasion.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.