Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Using rhetoric to convince my parents

My senior class and about another 15 classes decided to get together and have a company organize our 2010 senior trip. When it was time to confirm attendance, I practically thought it was impossible to get my parents to let me go. Still, I decided I would ask and just see their reaction. To my surprise, I did not get the “no”, but the “we will talk and think about it”. That was all I needed to start with my persuasion process. At first, I presented them with the facts. I talked about the cost of the trip and I let them know it was going to be secure since we would be provided with security and organizers at every event. Then, I had to get in touch with their emotional side, so I talked about how that would probably be the last chance to be with the majority of my high school class and close friends. I said this would also be another great experience they should let me have. Finally, I told them what I thought was obvious, if I could leave home and come to college by myself because they thought I would be able to handle it, why wouldn’t I be able to handle the situation for a week? After all this, I am glad to say I did go to my senior trip.

Now that I know more about rhetoric, I think I would implement more vivid examples so I can be more dramatic when being persuasive. Although, I would not change my “strategy” when convincing my parents. I think everything I said was good enough and I achieved what I thought would be impossible.

2 comments:

  1. Though you said you believed you were going to get a definite "No" you put up a compelling enough arguement that was well thought out. I also understand about you not changing your strategy but would've have used more examples becuase I also should've done the same in my most recent rhetoric experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, I agree that you approached the process in a good way, even though you didn't know you were using rhetoric! Your method was very strategical as well, starting with logic and then incorporating emotion. Good work

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.