Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My New Car

When I turned 15 I told my father I wanted a car. He was totally against the idea, and didn’t think I needed to drive. Since I really wanted a car, I knew I was going to have to work hard to show him how much I wanted to drive. I decided to show him that I was responsible enough to have a car. I told him that I was going to get a job and save up enough money to buy a car. He agreed and said if I save 500 dollars he would give me the rest for the car.

After a month, I started working at Giant Eagle. I saved up all my money from work and gifts; after three months, I had saved more than enough money. As soon as I got my paycheck I told my dad. Of course he tried to make up another excuse for why I couldn’t get a car.

I asked if his reasoning behind not allowing me to drive was because he wasn’t able to have a car when he turned 16. I explained to him that it would be a great advantage for me and that I would be able to help my mom with errands. Reluctantly, he finally agreed!

When persuading my dad I used Ethos and Pathos. Now that I know more I would have used logos more by showing how 16 year olds benefit from driving.

3 comments:

  1. I like your point on how 16 year olds can benefit from driving a car. And that’s good you help your mom out with errands I am a huge mama’s boy so I totally get that. I hoped you liked your car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to persuade mt mom to buy me a car too but i wuz 17. i had a job at that point and my license i just had to persuade her that i would be responsible and pay for my insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Ashley! A car at 15 is a big deal; I didn't have one until I was 17 :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.