Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Blog #1

Last summer I successfully persuaded my parents to buy me a car. They had a million reason to to say no but I continued with my persuasion. I argued strong points pertaining to my essential needs for transportation. I told them that I had a job and I had to be on time so a car was a neccesity. I explained that driving was a vital part of everyday life and having a car would allow me to mature into a mature independent young lady. My plan was to let my parent see that getting me a car was an essential need and not a primary want of mine. I continued with my constant nagging and they continuously turned me down. I began making deals and proving that a car would be a pretty good idea. I gave my parents an ultimatum. I would give as much of my savings as possible and they would match my money. This was very appealing to my parents, along with the fact that I would not have to continuously put miles on their car and waste all their gas. Eventually my parents gave in and realized that maybe a car would be a good idea. We made a deal and by next summer I will be driving a new car. Hopefully a 2011 Ford Fiesta.



This was not an easy tasks for me. In this case I used pathos. There were words that needed to be used to get the point across to my parents. Now that I have a deeper understanding of rhetoric, I would have definitely used logos. Bringing facts and statistics to the table will enhance your opinion. Although logos was not of any help. my parents eventually got the point and now I will have a car. In the end I was pretty successful.

4 comments:

  1. Overall I liked the way you used Ethos and showing your parents that you were serious about the car and would match their money. That continuously putting miles on their car and wasting all their gas was a funny point. That's cool I wish you the best of luck in getting that car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want a Honda Fit ;-) It seems like a combination of ethos, logos and pathos worked for you. I have been using pathos hard on my parents to get them to give me a car, but perhaps using other appeals will help (logos might work, since I can argue my little brother having a car and no job or plans to go to college is not far since I am both a teacher and a graduate student.) This was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Brooke! I agree with Tory that the combination of appeals seemed to work in your favor. Offering some of your savings also showed that you were responsible and willing to sacrifice--always good qualities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the points that you used to persuade your parents to buy a car were very effective :) great job girl! Make sure you come pick me up in the new whip :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.