My most recent example of the use of rhetoric would be the vacation that my family took several weeks ago. We flew to the west coast, where we planned to stay several days in both Los Angeles and Las Vegas. While this may seem like a dream come true to most, I was not looking forward to it in the slightest. I'm not a fan of big crowds (Las Vegas Boulevard, anyone?), nor have I ever liked the beach. I started to plead my case by stating that I was a legal, responsible adult who was capable of taking care of himself for a few days (Logos/Ethos?). Also, my negative attitude towards the trip would only bog the rest of them down (Logos). Once I sensed that I was beginning to lose ground on my argument, I'll admit that began to get desperate (only slightly, though). I attempted to make my parents guilty by saying that forcing me to go on a trip that I clearly did not want to go on wasn't fair (Pathos).
I ended up losing that argument, and went on the trip. But now, after reflecting on it, I realize that I was a winner in the world of rhetoric.
I ended up losing that argument, and went on the trip. But now, after reflecting on it, I realize that I was a winner in the world of rhetoric.
You did win. I wouldn't turn do a trip to Los Angeles or Las Vegas if I had the opportunity to go.
ReplyDeleteIf anything you ventured to new places! Plus it is always a trip to try to go against your parents wishes, but now that you are at college and can make your own adult decisions.
ReplyDeletesalty, but i can feel to bad for someone going to los angeles. You made some strong arguments sorry it didn't pan out for you.
ReplyDeleteHa! Good job analyzing the situation. I absolutely despise LA as well, so I sympathize with your desire not to go.
ReplyDeleteI must say you were right about the winning part ! I like how u used logos and ethos to really support what you were trying to convey and only switched to pathos as a last resort !
ReplyDelete