My mom and I had just moved to a new city close to the end of my eighth grade school year, so we were kind of low on funds, but i didn't realize that when I was younger. When I came to the new school they were all talking about some trip to Washington. When I found out all the information about the trip I knew that i was going, but when I asked my mom about it she instantly shut me down even after I gave her my best explanations on why I should go. One of the appeals that I used was pathos. I tried to explain to her how I would benefit from it and how if I didn't go that I would be missing out on a lot of things. I really thought she was going to side with me after i gave such a good argument.
Now that I know more about rhetoric I realize some things that that i could've done differently. I would've had more evidence on how I would benefit from the trip and i could've compromised with her about the money part. I should've asked another family to pay for half of the trip and she would've went for it.
Your mom sounds like my granny. Sometimes they can be so mean. You tried hard though.
ReplyDeleteSounds to me like you actually used a bit of all three of the categories. The whole "explaining how I would benefit" thing fits under the Logos category, too.
ReplyDeleteOur moms are the opposite, I cant' convince her on my side for anything and it's frustrating. My dad agrees with me most of the time, we think so much alike.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Ariel! Good reflections on what you could have done differently.
ReplyDeleteI can usually talk my mom into letting me do anything also.I think you would have had a better chance to go if you would have compromised with her and gave more evidence also.
ReplyDelete