This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Blog #1 College
Growing up in a very rural location, I wanted to go out on a limb and adapt to a larger setting. I knew that a larger city capacitated more people with different backgrounds and cultures which happened to be a scenario I had never had the opportunity to experience. Knowing that The Ohio State University is very large and diverse, I decided I wanted to attend collge there. The only thing standing between me and OSU was my parents' skepticism. I knew they were skeptical because of the school's size but I planned to sway their opinions by appealing to their interest in my academic success. When I approached the topic I confronted my parents with an ethos appeal. I assured them that I was responsible and could handle the pressures of college that easily pull some people off track. I proved my statement was true by using fact. The fact I presented them with was my history as a successful high school student. Reminding them of my focus throughout high school and the grades I earned as a result of my focus, I was able to support the idea that I am not easily pulled off track by outside distractions using the logos appeal. I then shared with my parents the desire I have to make something better of myself so I can have pride in my accomplishments and live my life to the fullest. Connecting with them emotionally demonstrated the pathos appeal. Had I known more about rhetoric at the time, I would have included additional examples of each appeal in order to drive my persuasion further.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's evident that you won your argument. You did a good job with the credibility by referring back to your history of success in school.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ariel that your ethos in the conversation was very strong. It always helps for a speaker to align themselves with the values of the audience. Nice work Danielle!
ReplyDeleteI think choosing The Ohio State University as your college is a huge step coming from a rural town. But it is also the best choice I think because OSU has more to offer than most colleges.
ReplyDelete