Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I used to use rhetoric all the time with my parents for permits to parties. They never liked it that I would get home really late so they preferred that i wouldn't go out. They would always try to not to give me permits but i would use rhetoric to convince them that they really had no reason to not give me permit to go out. I think it was mostly Logos because i used the logic that if i was done with all my homework, done with all my chores, and I didn't have anything else the next day then there was no reason to not let me out. Although sometimes Pathos had to do its job because sometimes they persisted with saying no, so I would have to change my argument and try to go for the feelings of my mom. After a while of discussing it my mom would feel bad about saying no because I would like tell her that I've been helping her all the days and she would then feel that I should get rewarded for helping her. The only bad thing is that Pathos doesn't work with my dad so I would have to step it up a bit with my Logos. There have been like 3 times that I've had to use rhetoric and really had to convince my parents and it was to go to parties to a city like 2 hours away, but i got away with it so my use rhetoric really worked.

3 comments:

  1. Your persuasion methods are very similar to mine. I usually use logic around my parents as well as pathos. When I have to deal with my mom, I help her do all the house chores and, later on, she figures out I just want to go out. Unlike you, pathos does work with my dad. When I get in touch with his emotional side, I know its hard for him to say know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes a lot of sense to me. I see my brothers doing the same thing now with my stepfather whenever they want extra money to go to their dance parties. Pathos works best on him, though as a grad student I am able to use my ethos on him for extra money for things like food and clothes. He sees that I am getting an education and taking it seriously, so he feels better about giving me money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Luis! Research has shown that women tend to be more empathetic than men, so it makes sense that pathos would work better on your mom than on your dad. It's the same way in my family.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.