This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Blog #2- Power of Literacy
I am a female teenager and in today's society there are many stereotypical boundaries placed on young adults. One particular stereotype that I feel has affected me is the idea that teenage females are subject to throwing their lives away because they often become pregnant. It is a very common stereotype because so many teenagers do become pregnant that it almost seems normal.I have grown to understand the importance of avoiding teen pregnancy because of the things I have learned from literacy. For example, I grew up in church and read the Bible regularly. As I read the Bible I began to realize for myself that I would do a great dis-service to my child if I attempted to raise he or she in this stage of my life. Exposure to articles about teen mothers breaking their backs to supply for children they chose to have was heartbreaking but it made the issue many teenage women experience come alive. Through literacy I gained some of my knowledge about young women who have struggled with raising children. By making myself aware of the problem I have been able to avoid placing myself in such a demanding situation. Literacy can help to break the stereotype of teen pregnancy if people take the iniciative and get self-informed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you in so many ways. I know at least 3 people that got pregnant before they got a college degree and they struggle everyday to be able to provide for their children. Like you, I believe literature can educate when we talk about stereotypical boundaries.
ReplyDeleteExcellent work Danielle! I like that you've used your own learning process as an example of how to fight the stereotype. Becoming an informed and aware citizen is perhaps the best way to fight prejudice.
ReplyDelete