Thursday, September 2, 2010

Everyday Stereotypes

Being a person of color, I face many sterotypes everyday. Like if I walk into a store, I will be secretly be followed by store security because they assume I'm going to steal. That is not true at all, like if I'm going into a store obviously I want to buy something. Everytime I look up I see somebody looking at me. Like last week my mom, mom, sister, nephew and I walked into a store. About a minute later we heard on the intercom "security check". We all looked at each other in great suprise. My aunt asked the woman who said security check that did she say that because black people (us) walked in. The woman swore up and down she didn't do it because we walked in and that they did security checks every twenty minutes. But some woman who shopped there regularly said as many times she had been there, she had never heard of them doing a "security check". My family and I were highly offended. Also, because of the way I dress, talk, music I listen to, and act people assume I'm uneducated. Thats is very untrue, I graduated third in my class and I'm going to The Ohio State University, what more proof do you need to see that I'm very educated? All sterotypes are stupid and hopefully one day sterotypes will not exist anymore.

2 comments:

  1. As far as the whole live your life thing, people will pre-judge minorities as long as there are a select few that ruin it for the rest of us. I believe that people should never base anyone on what they see because theydo not us, what we've been through or what kind of people we are. If we didn't do the things we liked we would have no personality or sense of individuality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Alvian. I would have liked to see you elaborate more on how you might use literacy to counter this. I think another bad side-effect of stereotyping is that it puts people on the defensive, which can lead to misunderstandings.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.