Thursday, September 2, 2010

There goes another hispanic

As a young, hard working, successful hispanic it really is sickening to be sterotyped because some people are to ignorant to get to know someone or base us on what they've seen with their own two eyes. I've worked hard my whole life to be where im at today and being sterotyped hasn't helped. People, students, teachers, looking as though they know my whole life. Some of the most common things they think of when they see a hispanic is welfare, tacos, rice and beans, lots of children, and many more. They mistaken pride for unpatriotism. My herritage and culture are a proud one and we love eachother and everything we are. I feel as though when sterotyped I am being pushed backward when my whole I've worked hard to take away such sterotypes. I try to push myself to take steps foward and make people realize that we are sophisticated and intelligent people. Though my knowledge and hard work I try everything possible to make sure my race is not sterotyped as "another hispanic".

2 comments:

  1. True dat man, i know exactly how you feel man, some people are just ignorant. there will always be ignorant people, the key is to just deal with them and prove them wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points Adrian! You're absolutely right. It's important to demonstrate the difference between a generalization and a stereotype; many people aren't sensitive to that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.