Thursday, September 2, 2010

Teenage Judgement

Many people have this belief that teenagers have no guidance. I was in a situation where I was having an open conversation with a few friends and someone wanted to "anonymously" add their two cents. They began making smart remarks and little comments in reference to how teenagers, particulary females, have no guidance. These remarks were made in reference to our converstaion. I personally feel as though no one can judge me, unless they know me. I feel affected by this form of judgement which is a stereotype. Stereotyping does affect me because it becomes annoying when someone takes the time to judge before they take the time to get to know me. You should never judge a book by it's cover because you never know what can be read on their pages.

I could express myself through writing by proving to others the issues judgement can bring about. Judgement can build arguments, start fights, and be hurtful. Expressing this in writing will give people a different view of judgement and how it makes one feel. I would include my personal thoughts, which will give the reader or even one who may judge, an understanding of the other side. My writing will put the reader in the shoes of one who is being judged. I personally hope that it would affect them in a positive way and allow them to step back and not be so quick to judge.

3 comments:

  1. That was deep! I feel like you have a very mature writing style when trying to convey your overall message :). But I agree with you about people judging before they get to know, but that's human nature..it's not right but it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this I was immediately like, "YEAH!!". People often judge others without ever taking the time to learn their history. People don't know the stories of other individuals well enough to cast judgment on them fairly. I try to watch the way I perceive people from the getgo because I don't know what that person has gone through to get to that very point in their life. Judging people or their conversations fairly is really hard to do unless you understand their background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Brooke! I like that you've really thought about how writing can help communicate/counter a point. The great thing about writing, like you said, is that it allows someone to express themselves completely and puts the reader into their shoes, which rarely happens in a regular convo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.