Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Drug Dealer

I was born in Colombia and I am very proud of it, but like every other Colombian I carry the burden of people thinking we are all drug dealers. It's a very common stereotype that people have of us, and its something that isn't true at all. Sometimes people will look weird at me when I say where I am from and it’s because first thing they think about Colombia is drugs or violence. In reality, you have to get to know someone before judging them, and it’s the same with us. Yeah probably you will find Colombians that aren't so nice, and yeah maybe they can be drug dealers, but it's the same in any other place, but you will find really nice people in Colombia. One way you can stop stereotyping is by visiting Colombia and meet people there, or another way is to meet people like me, Colombians that live in the United States, you will find really quickly that the image that most people portray of us is really way of what reality is. I think the prejudging of people is the worst stereotype that exists.

5 comments:

  1. I agree Louis. Prejudging is an extremely bad habit that people have in the woorld. Their too lazy to actually take the time to get to know someone which is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you man. I promise I can't stand on a corner for one minute without the police coming up on me because they think I'm doing something illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a good point man, I mean there are pleanty of columbians out there. I think the movies "Scarface" and "Clear and Present Danger" have helped that stereotypical view of Columbians. But I mean there is a good steeotype of y'all, I sure do love that coffee you guys make down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your absolutely right! people stereotype different places without any knowledge or ignorance. like people view people in places like compton, california as bad people, o people who live in cetain areas are perceived as certain types of poeple and its not right at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great observations Luis! There are certain countries/areas that are more often stereotyped in a negative way than others. When we think of the stereotypes of, say, a Canadian, compared to a Colombian, the difference is pretty clear. A lot of it comes from ignorance, and it's good that you are representing something different!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.