This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Differences
Throughout high school I always felt the pressure to exceed the expectations that others put on me. When I walked into a classroom, being the only african american it was hard to be placed on the same pedestal as the rest of the caucasian students. I was that "one chip in the cookie" and was easily set apart from the rest of my class. Often times, teachers would tell me that I should take the college prep class rather than the AP/honors course because they felt the more academically rigorous courses would be "too difficult for me to handle." Being placed in situations similar to these are nothing foreign to my everyday life. Just like I was forced to exceed in the classroom in order to break down these stereotypes, I have to do in everyday life as well. Although I don't appreciate having to break down these stereotypes I feel that its necessary in order for a change to come. If I act or conduct myself in a matter to support these generalizations, its allowing people to continue with the same mindset that they obtain. So by me going through life doing more than what's expected, I'm showing others that's not okay to stereotype groups of people because every individual is different.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm really glad you could overcome the stereotypical barriers you encountered throughout your high school experience. I think you have to be the bigger person in this kind of situations and prove everyone wrong. I don't think I've ever had to deal with an issue like this, even though I'm from Puerto Rico. I am positive about fitting in the OSU community.
ReplyDeleteNice work Aubrey! Thanks for sharing. Overcoming expectations is incredibly hard and happens in more ways than be are probably aware of. It's difficult not to make expectations into reality.
ReplyDelete