This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Funky Stereotypes
Living in a community where stereotypes are prevalent it makes it dificult for certain cultures, such as black young lady. I lived in an area of my hometown, which would pretty much be considered the "ghetto", it was fairly rough and alot of people that lived around me came up on hard times, and pretty much were in the same predicament. Young girls got pregnant, young men dropped out of school, or were gang affiliated, or men and women addicted to drugs and alcohol. So coming from a bad area of town, I was automatically labeled as a bad kid, a hood girl. Now, Im a pretty smart girl, straight a's, tons of awards, very talented, hardworking, and motivated, and people especially white people would treat me like another sad case from the projects. Basically, when people look at me and other young black ladies from my side of town, they label us as lazy, and undetermined. I have broken that stereotype by being at the top of my class, well involved in the community and school, and as well as church. I establshed myself as a determined young lady and now i think people dont see me te way they used to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post Morgan! I can attest to the fact that you are indeed a very smart, talented young lady. i think you also make a good point about cultural stereotypes vs racial stereotypes. Sometimes stereotypes about class and social status are the same, regardless of race.
ReplyDelete