One stereotype I have had to face is to first be judged by looks rather than people getting to know me. When first meeting people that's sometime what I hear when things are said behind my back when they think I can't hear. Being judged just by looks really hurts coming from girls and guys. Girls would think I'm not going to be a good friend or I would be the one to rat people out if something wrong is done, while guys automatically say I'm not girlfriend material because I don't look the part or they think I'm not fun. It's hard facing this challenge when I first meet people because I'm so used to what my mom and other women in my family would tell me to never judge a person by their appearance and that beauty comes from within because you can always seem beautiful on the outside and not so much on the inside.
By being judged without people getting to know me is usually a disadvantage for them since they don't really know me. With writing, I can write poetry and express characteristics of myself. That I am a fun person to be around, I'm nice, kind , generous, helpful, and caring. Also, to show that I'm the type of person who likes to have fun, but knows when to be serious. Writing can help me to express me and not anybody else. I feel really blessed to have such great old friends and new friends, and hopefully more to come, but I still know that there are going to possibly be others out there who don't see me as my friends do and through writing, I can tell what kind of a person I am and that I am not exactly what is seen, no one really is which is why I say people have to take the time to get to know rather than judge which is a stereotype I've had to face all my life.
Good job Marcella! Writing is an excellent avenue for self-expression and self-discovery, as we have seen in our readings.
ReplyDelete