I might use writing to counter the stereotype by writing my personal tale an giving vivid examples. This way, the reader can get connected in a personal and emotional level and feel like he is part of the problem, as well as part of the solution.
This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Women's Stereotypical View
I have been affected by a stereotypical view in my own house. My older brother has managed to do anything he wants since he turned 15. I was hoping that my parents would give me the same freedom they gave him but that didn't happen. My parents argument would start off by saying that I'm a female and it's "different". I would always complain about it, I didn't think that just because I'm a female I had to be restricted. Although I know my parents did this only because they wanted to protect me, I believe that is just another stereotypical view of women being defenseless and not able to do the same things males do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've noticed that my sister has the same problem, that's one of the reasons why she lives with my mom instead of living with my dad. While i'm living with my dad I'm allowed to go anywhere I want but she's not.
ReplyDeleteGood post Claudia! Gender stereotypes are still a problem, despite the women's lib movement. I tend to agree with a parent's caution however; women are victimized more often than men--or at least, more often than straight men.
ReplyDelete