Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dilemma

By: Philippe Laroque

As Americans living in a culturally diverse society it seems that although we are aware of this diversity we seldom attempt to understand it and the people that make it up. What I mean by this is that since most Americans hang out with people of either their own race or ethnicity sometimes the only perception they have of people of other races and ethnicities is either what is portrayed on T.V or unfortunate experiences they encountered with a particular race or ethnicity at one point of their life. One example of this was a white friend of mine, who did not have many encounters with blacks, who would ask me if blacks acted the way the did on T.V in real life. I had to tell him that unfortunately some do but at the same time you can not approach a black person with the mentality that their angry, ghetto, and are always trying to start trouble. Although it is difficult to do, many people including myself must not look at people of other ethnicities, that we have not had contact with, as if they abide by the stereotypes that are portrayed on T.V.

2 comments:

  1. I had this kind of experience when I lived in France. Everybody asked me if we had T.V., cars, iPods and other stuff like that in Mexico.
    The image they had of Mexico was that of a desert filled with people with sombreros sleeping by a cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Philippe! I like that you've brought in pop culture and the media. Personally, I think that the media has a responsibility not to perpetuate stereotypes, but unfortunately they often don't!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.