For me and for many minorities in America stereotypes affect our lives every day. For some it might hold them back or make them feel like they might not be able to overcome certain things like gangs, being on the corner, or whatever it might be. But I know for me and a lot of our group it is a motivator. It is something to look down on and say that I am better than that and I’m going to show the world how. I want and need to show the world how I am not uneducated and am something more then what America at times sees in a Mexican immigrant. And we show the world through reading writing and literacy. For me I love being able to say I’m bi-lingual. Also the fact that I might speak in different ways but am still be able to be in a math class and be one of the brightest in that classroom. Either way I am showing that I am overcoming that obstacle of stereo types or racism by showing the world that I am a Latino student going to the Ohio State University. Or even show them how even though I have been out of my house and working in a factory since I was fifteen that I have all my tuition paid off.
This will be our class hub for discussions and short writing responses. Be respectful and have fun!
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Making history
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice work Martin! I like the fact that you emphasize leading with actions. And being bilingual is unique and certainly something to be proud of. Hopefully it will be a valuable skill you can use in the future.
ReplyDelete